Thursday, May 27, 2010

Master's Moleskine



Today’s Quote;
Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.” - Albert Einstein
.
My Thoughts; I've been thinking of late about the pivotal events in a man's life.  Pivotal as in vitally important, especially in determining the outcome, progress, or success of something. Pivotal in the sense that we recognize the significance of that moment...after which everything has changed in some way and you find yourself headed in a new or different direction.  In a man's life there are many.
  • The first time something or someone you cared about passed away. 
  • Creating something with your own hands for the first time. 
  • Devotion of your time and intention to Becoming Really Good at Something
  • Making that first Big Purchase
  • ...Or what about the first time she lifted her hips slightly to enable you to take off her panties.  No..Not last week - although good for you if that is the case...Im talking about the first time it happened, ever. That's pivotal Bro.  
  • What about the first time you truly glimpsed the Path you were on - and you understood what it means to devote yourself to Mastery...
  • What are some of your pivotal events?  What did they teach you? What have you learned?
Things We Love; There are some transcendant moments when you realize how good it is to be alive and how excellent it is to be a man.  We dont get together as much or as often as we should, but there is nothing to compare to the experience of laughing together with men of like minds. In my minds eye I can go back to a warm evening with two very dear friends...two of us with cigars and two fingers of the dark liquor of our choice in hand, the other with a cigarette.  I dont remember what the hell we talked about - its not important.  What is important to me is the laughter.  Deep, rich..from the belly..the kind that leaves you slumped over sideways in your chair, short of breath and wiping a tear out of the corner of your eye with the back of your hand.  It comes in waves - as soon as it dies down, someone will say something that will start it up again.

My wish for every man is that you be blessed with friends that you can laugh with like that.  I believe the entire world would benefit.

Now, It's not too late if you do not have that kind of relationship in your life, and I'll share with you a profound secret that I've discovered along the way.  You can change big things in your life today, if that's what you want.  And only you can want whatever it is in such a way that it is going to work for you. Say what it is that you want. Not 'in your head' - actually say it out loud. Yes, I know it sounds goofy - but its real. What if the things that are missing in our lives arent there simply because we've never said that's what we wanted?  The concept of self-advocacy is taught in the schools these days all the time. People of our generation missed a lot of those lessons. So lets begin today - now, while nobody's looking lets advocate for ourselves and speak our truth out into the void. Having good friends does not have to be a rare occurrance that only happens to other people. And by saying this to yourself, today....only you will know the truth of it and see it actually begin to unfold after this moment, true? Of course if you want to share your success with me, I'd love to hear about it!  Do it now!

Music in my Head: Old school stuff...Marvin Gaye singing Distant Lover live...Steely Dan, AJA...Earth Wind and Fire....Would.You Mind..

Travels; We have graduations happening over the next couple of weeks, so no travels other than the usual.  Looking forward to flying home Friday morning! 

Deliciousness; Read an article in Esquire about making the Best Burger in the World.  What that means is taking the time to identify your own special blend of meat, grinding it and including your own blend of spices.  Im planning on two parts chuck with good marbling to one part sirloin. I plan on doing just that this weekend to celebrate my daughters graduation from high school with a serious BBQ. Its going to be messy no doubt, but its also going to be fantastic. There's nothing like chilling in the evening smelling of smoke with a celebratory beverage in hand and seeing everyone around you full and happy. Im looking forward to this weekend!

Adventures this week; I've been working on focusing my intention toward what it is that I actually WANT out of this life instead of spending so much time and energy thinking about that which I do NOT want. It seems like a small distinction, but it is actually very important. Check this;
"Continuing to tell stories of shortage only continues to contradict your desire for abundance, and you cannot have it both ways: You cannot focus upon unwanted and receive wanted. You cannot focus upon stories about money that make you feel uncomfortable and allow into your experience what makes you feel comfortable. A different story will bring different results: My thoughts are the basis for the attraction of all things that I consider to be good, which includes enough money, and health, for my comfort and joy."
--- Abraham

Ex Libris; Spook Country, William Gibson; overheard on a plane that there is a new Laurell K Hamilton out AND a new J.R. Ward.  I want them both.

I am thankful for; my slave, good friends and family and a good nights rest. If you've ever suffered from even the smallest bout with insomnia you know how good it is to rest deeply and peacefully and to awaken refreshed and ready to meet the challenges of the day.

Discover the Event;  The next large scale event is going to be in Atlanta GA where we will be doing two classes at SELF, June 11-13. The weekend after we are going to be in NOLA and the following weekend in our nations capital - currently looking around to see what trouble we can get into in both of those wonderful cities. If you have some good ideas, let me know...

Wisdom; You are close to your goal. Rest if you must - but dont you quit.
When I was a kid, my Dad would recite parts of this poem to me and as corny as it seemed then - its amazing how often I've heard these words in my head, in his voice...right at the time when I needed them. I offer a bit of it to you here and a link to where you can read the whole thing - enjoy. 


When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment